Hello there guest and welcome to the Auto Buyers Market forums! We have message boards for you to chat about any automotive topic with other auto enthusiasts. Get advice on leasing, purchasing, prices paid, questions and answers on all makes and models. To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete. Already a member? Login here then!

Drum Brakes

Starmix

12/07/23
We need to know about brakes and the one introduced here is called the drum Breaks. Let us find out if they look like a drum once the image is displayed. So far, drum breaks are the oldest of the two main types of braking out. A drum that is fixed to the wheel. Inside the drum are two brake shoes that rub against the drum circumference to slow the drum which slows down the wheels.

1703729089720.png1703729089720.png

Last edited:
Drum brakes are not really fashionable any longer. They are limited due to their smaller surface to be applied in very high speed, it isn't always effective especially when the situation demands emergency braking. They tend to fade in downhill driving.

If I am not wrong,drum brakes were used in very very old models and are no more in use. Now they have moved onto Anti lock brake system. Drum brakes were not so effective in emergency situation as they could not be applied suddenly in smaller distance.

There are shoe brakes and brake pads. Shoe brakes are not very common with most cars now but brake pads are the real deal. There's a particular product of brake pad that I make use of whenever I have to change my car's brake pad. It's the brake pads products of asimco.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people don't want to use drum brakes as it is no longer stylish for the woke people. I think it is its lack of efficiency when one is in very high speed, as it will not be effective enough when the situation demands emergency braking.

In am era where car manufacturers are trying to make the weight of cars lighter, drum brakes have become a No No. That's because they're really heavy when compared to disc brakes adding up to the overall weight of a car. I think it served it's purpose in older cars and are well appreciated.

I think a lot of people don't want to use drum brakes as it is no longer stylish for the woke people. I think it is its lack of efficiency when one is in very high speed, as it will not be effective enough when the situation demands emergency braking.
Well, as long as they are installed in your car, there's no choice left for the car owner but to use them. So, if brake shoes are not for you, then when buying your car, it's best to look for a car without it. Also, you can't remove it because you don't like it because that's putting yourself and car at risk.

Drum brakes have specific advantages and downsides. On the one hand, they are less expensive than disc brakes and can be employed in a variety of automobiles. Additionally, they are simple to maintain and repair. They can, however, be less reliable than disc brakes since they produce less heat and are more prone to overheating. Despite their disadvantages, drum brakes are still used, particularly in older automobiles. However, they are gradually being replaced with disc brakes, which provide superior performance, especially in high-speed situations.

Before now, drum brakes were the standard braking system for both the front and rear wheels of vehicles.

However, many modern vehicles now use disc brakes on the front wheels for improved stopping power and heat dissipation. Drum brakes are still commonly used for the rear wheels of many vehicles due to their cost-effectiveness and adequate performance for less demanding braking situations.

Based on my experience, the drum breaks is a traditional breaking system that is used by so many vehicles and it is also worth to mention they do not offer the same level of performance as the disc brakes but they are more economical and they are also very simple in design as well.

Back
Top Bottom