Hello there guest and welcome to the Auto Buyers Market forums! We have message boards for you to chat about any automotive topic with other auto enthusiasts. Get advice on leasing, purchasing, prices paid, questions and answers on all makes and models. To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete. Already a member? Login here then!

Is owning a car a necessity?

Starmix

12/07/23
I think owning a car depends on the interest and financial capacity of the person, but abroad like New Zealand, homeowners own cars not for pleasure but for their daily needs. There are no utility vehicles there. I saw buses and trains for those who travel far from home. Even old people there could still drive, but in my country, not all own a car. Also, some cars there in NZ are affordable. My cousins bought two cars at $ 5,000 NZ dollars each in cash . If someone owns a car in my country , it is done through installment. Only those well-off can afford to buy a car in cash. My first car was purchased through installment.mWhat can you add?

Owning a car might not be a necessity if you are a single person. But as a person that owns a family, owning a car is an absolute necessity. It saves costs to start with. Having to take your kids with a public transportation to school everyday is more expensive in the long run than owning a car.

if you believe that owning a car is a necessity then proceed with buying. We can own a car through installment though. it is also hassle-free if there is a car. In my country, some people do not feel owning a car is a necessity, there are many transport to commute with.

It depends on individual preference and need. For me , it is a necessity. Without my car, i can not be able to run my business effectively. My car is my second hand now. In some countries where transportation is cheap and affordable, owning a car will be consider as a leisure.

Having a vehicle is indeed beneficial, especially during an emergency that might occur in the middle of the night. A cab may be hard to find in the middle of the night.

it is a necessity for me as it is a good means of mobility. You need a car if you are always on the go. You might not want to be jumping public transport all the time so you get your personal car.

Last edited:
Sometimes I like to ride on public transport. I want to see many people inside and I smile at them. I also observed the engine used by the vehicle.

I could own a couple of cars, two will be reasonable enough, for frequent transportation or not. In my country people purchase luxury cars as many as they want even when they don't need them as far as they are rich, I can't be this way anyway.

I could own a couple of cars, two will be reasonable enough, for frequent transportation or not. In my country people purchase luxury cars as many as they want even when they don't need them as far as they are rich, I can't be this way anyway.
Yes people have gone pass that stage of buying cars for just mobility. To some people it is status thing for their age grade or something. So it is necessary for them even it is just for them to show off they don't mind.

Personally, I believe that there are stages in life. There's a time in life when it's very important for you to own a car and at such time, you can very well be able to afford a certain kind of car to purchase without suffering a big financial shock. I'm driving Toyota Highlander 2019 model now but some years ago, there was no way I would have been able to afford it.

Just three decades back, car was a luxury in our country. Very few households had them. But now with changing socio economic scenario, things have changed. Especially in urban set up, every middle class and above economic section have one or more cars. But still, it has not become a necessity in our country. There are still lower middle class who rely on two wheelers or public transport for commutation. For those who are poor, they rely on public transport

Yes there's a stage in life. when it's very important for one to own a car. Like one buying a car for a family to use. it can never be a luxury but a necessity and at such time, you can very well be able to afford a certain car for the family.

Owning a car is a necessity if you are working and the workplace is far from your residence .it takes time to commit during traffic congestion. If you have a car you can drive more easily without the hassle of the traffic.

If you are a young person and you are not a business person that needs to move around inter city intermittently, you don't absolutely need a car. Most cities have well established public transportation systems that people can use to do their normal commuting. Cars should be tools to aid your daily endeavours.

Yes there's a stage in life. when it's very important for one to own a car. Like one buying a car for a family to use. it can never be a luxury but a necessity and at such time, you can very well be able to afford a certain car for the family.
The most important thing when it comes to having a car is for the person to be financially stable to take care good care of the car. If you can't run your car maintenance when it's due, it's not necessary for the person to own such a car at the time.

That's why having a source of income is not just the necessity to own a car but having a progressive source of income. If your income stays in one place and you buy a car. Chances are that you would sell that car sooner. The frequency of maintenance of cars increase as they age.

That's why having a source of income is not just the necessity to own a car but having a progressive source of income. If your income stays in one place and you buy a car. Chances are that you would sell that car sooner. The frequency of maintenance of cars increase as they age.
Exactly. You have to be so good when it comes to your finances before you start thinking about buying a car. Anything can you down unexpectedly with a car and if you can't spend unexpectedly, it's going to be very difficult for you own a car and take care of it.

If I buy my first car, it will be out of necessity rather than for social prestige or symbol. Some people do it just to brag or show off. I want to buy a used car first because I don't have enough money for a brand-new car.

Owning a car is a necessity. We can reach our destination fast and with no hassle, unlike commuting. The kids will not also be late for their classes. They will also be safe.

Back
Top Bottom